Project Manager - Combat Systems (NOC 0211)
Project Manager - Combat Systems (NOC 0211)
Babcock Canada Inc.
Date Posted: September 18, 2017
Experience Exciting Projects with a Career at Babcock
Babcock Canada Inc. provides critical and complex support to strategically important assets, infrastructure and training programs primarily in the defence and security environments. We are currently engaged in the provision of In-Service Support (ISS) solutions for surface and subsurface marine fleets, including the delivery of comprehensive ISS to Canada's Victoria Class submarine fleet.
We are a Canadian ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001 registered company employing approximately 350 personnel at locations in Halifax, Ottawa, and Victoria. We are trusted to deliver a wide range of services including Program Management, Material and Logistic Support, Systems Engineering, Configuration Management and Records Support, Maintenance and Refits, and Information and Knowledge Management.
At Babcock, you'll experience what it is like to work on and support epic projects:
From managing the deep overhaul of a submarine's more than 200 complex systems to refitting and upgrading massive, 11,000 tonne arctic icebreakers, to supporting naval and commercial surface vessels. These are just some of the complex projects that Babcock thrives on.
Our parent company, Babcock International Group PLC, is a leading global Engineering Support Services organisation that employs over 35,000 skilled personnel across six continents.
We are currently recruiting for a Project Manager - Combat Systems based in our Victoria, BC office. This is a full-time permanent position (37.5 hours per week) and will report to the Project Manager - Submarines.
The principal tasks and responsibilities include:
- Managing operationally deployed and docked Submarine Combat Systems projects such that the project objectives for time, cost, success criteria, and quality requirements are achieved and service support functions are carried out accordingly;
- Focusing on project delivery, utilizing their skills and experience in management of a Submarine Combat System and Submarine Qualification Knowledge to accelerate activities relating to successful outcome of projects and via defined approved project cost, budget and schedule targets;
- Fostering and managing Project Team(s) by coaching and mentoring of team members to maximize the potential of staff inclusive of setting objectives and supervise goals and targets;
- Developing, coordinating and active management of all project activities, project structure and plan, work breakdown, work packages and stakeholders relating to Submarine Combat Systems project delivery;
- Forecasting budgets and subsequently manage all combat activity costs to budget;
- Making early predictions of any overspends against actual with mitigation actions to reduce costs;
- Actively managing the respective combat scope of work, accepting only necessary increases and providing impacts to cost and schedule;
- Aggressively developing and monitoring progress against Submarine Combat Systems and completion schedule, report to Project Manager as appropriate, determine any action required to prevent or recover from program slippage;
- Maintaining close interface regimes with the Das, LCMMs, PSPC, VSL, OEM's and Sub-Contractors as applicable, ensuring support requirements are communicated in a timely manner;
- Managing all combat zone internal communications to ensure the Stakeholders and Customers are kept up to date;
- Providing appropriate fitment and successful integration and operation of Submarine Combat Systems according to the customer's operational commitments;
- Assisting the EDWP Program Management Office (PgMO) to schedule all assigned combat zone activities and then manage the zone to meet the key events dates;
- Developing, actively managing and mitigating all the combat zone risks in consultation with the EDWP PgMO;
- Maximizing opportunities within the respective combat zone to accelerate schedule while resolving combat zone schedule conflicts to minimize the impact to the overall project;
- Maintaining the quality of the product being delivered to the Customer;
- Developing, preparing and producing reports and performance metrics for all zone reporting activities;
- If requested by the Project Manager, acting as delegate assuming responsibility for the Project; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Job qualifications and requirements include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or similar at minimum related engineering field;
- Extensive experience and demonstrative knowledge in installation, construction, integration, service requirements, commissioning and testing, maintenance, and operation of Submarine Combat System equipment to allow informed decisions when prioritizing activities in a demanding, complex environment;
- Proven knowledge of engineering principles and Operation Maintenance Management as applied to submarines and surface ships;
- Proven knowledge and experience in understanding of submarine construction, layout designs, stages of submarine deep maintenance and capability upgrades
- Submarine qualification knowledge is required;
- Must display a sound working knowledge of Project Management Principles, Logistics and understand what the requirements of the business are in order to successfully lead the Project Team;
- Strong client focus in understanding and interpreting project requirements to include resource and material identification; PMP certification is an asset;
- Minimum 5 years' experience in a management and leadership role with demonstrated abilities communicating with Senior Managers, Customers and Project staff.
- Candidates must be eligible for a Level II Canadian Secret Security Clearance, International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Controlled Goods
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary from $ 108,000 to $ 122,000 per annum
- Discretionary bonus, range of 5% to 10%
- Extended health, medical, dental and life insurance
- BC MSP Premium coverage (taxable benefit)
- RRSP/DPSP benefits available
- Minimum 4 weeks' vacation per fiscal year
- Relocation Allowance
- Eligible for discretionary bonus, benefits, allowances and/or increase in salary, the whole in accordance with Babcock Canada's policies and guidelines and individual circumstances
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume by applying online at https://jobs.babcockinternational.com/search/?redirect=true . You may be required to indiciate the Job Title to complete your application.
Job Number: 14972
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements. Please ensure that you meet all qualifications before applying.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
If you have a disability which requires an accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you.
At Babcock, our people are our greatest asset:
Given our commitment to employee development across the board, employees enjoy a long and satisfying career at Babcock Canada in an environment that values their contributions, rewards them properly, and is absolutely committed to their safety and wellbeing. Employee benefits include but are not limited to:
- Relocation assistance for individuals and families
- Pregnancy and Parental Leave top-up available
- Company sponsored continuing education
- Employee recognition and bonus programs
- Reimbursement of annual professional membership dues
- Health and Wellness Program
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits
- Employer matching of employee retirement contributions
- Paid vacation that increases with years of service
Babcock Canada is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity.
We welcome your interest in joining the Babcock Canada family.
Work Location Addresses:
300-770 Enterprise Crescent
825 Admirals Rd
800-75 Albert St
Ottawa, ON K1P 5E7