Java Software Engineer
Location - Reading area
Package: Basic salary plus contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, additional flexible benefits scheme and excellent work/life balance including 9 day working fortnight
AWE are looking to recruit talented Java Developers to support the development of complex, novel, Java 8 applications. These applications directly support our analysts underpinning the core programme crucial to the UK's nuclear deterrent.
We are interested in hearing from candidates with experience of professional software engineering, an appreciation of scientific or numerical development and who are excited about delivering projects in an agile, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Work autonomously to support full-lifecycle development of Java 8 SE applications
- Help solve complex scientific or numerical problems developing appropriate implementations
- Be an excellent communicator with the ability to effectively collaborate across traditional boundaries between our Customers, Scientists, Engineers and IT
- Write and maintain documentation to support deliverable software
- Collaborate using modern version control, software configuration and other build tools
- Be enthusiastic about working in a multi-disciplinary environment, sharing knowledge and promoting best practice
- Have good working knowledge of Test Driven Development, Behavioural Driven Development, Continuous Integration, Scrum, automated build (e.g. Gradle) and automated testing (e.g. JUnit)
- Have (or be willing to develop) hands on experience of development inJavaFX,JavaEE, FORTRAN, Python or other similar languages
To be considered for this role, you must have a good honours degree in a relevant engineering or technical discipline (e.g. software engineering, computer science, physics, maths, mechanical engineering) or equivalent experience.
Candidates must be willing to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.