Application Computer Scientist
Application Computer Scientist
Location - Reading area
Package: Basic salary plus contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, additional flexible benefits scheme and excellent work/life balance including 9 day working fortnight.
We have a number of exciting opportunities to join our High Performance Computing (HPC) group as Application Computer Scientists. Successful candidates will gain first-hand experience of working in the vibrant field of HPC motivated by multi-physics science problems. The HPC group provides scientific computing support to the user community at AWE with significant HPC real estate (>4PFlops) at its disposal. In addition, there exists multiple small development platforms with novel architecture that are routinely used for code porting and research related activities. The role will involve interacting with Code Physicists and System Administrators to contribute to a variety of support, research and development activities within all levels of HPC software stack. This role would suit candidates with computer science or scientific computing background.
Ideally you will have a proven track record of working in a scientific environment with good exposure to scientific computing. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work and collaborate with universities in the UK and be encouraged to disseminate your results internationally through conference attendance and journal publications. We are interested in hearing from candidates at various stages of their careers as we have a number of opportunities at different levels. Successful candidates at higher levels will be expected to demonstrate relevant experience in the field of high performance computing.
- Maintaining an awareness of current and future developments in the HPC field and critically evaluate for internal use
- Lead software development projects including QA and code release
- Develop and debug complex multi-physics codes independently within or outside teams using appropriate methods
- Lead and present own code specifications and programming logic at code reviews as well as being the primary contributor to other code reviews
- Code porting and benchmarking experience
- Lead on research tasks and provide technical solutions
- Perform any other duties or functions consistent with the role, nature of post as determined by the team leader
KEY EXPERIENCES AND COMPETENCIES
- Degree or equivalent experience in computer science, engineering, applied maths, physics or related discipline with sufficient and demonstrable software development experience
- Extensive collaborative programing skills in at least one programming language (C/C++/Java/Fortran)
- Experienced in modern version control and other software engineering practices
- Experience in optimisation of scientific applications on modern multi-core architectures
- Experienced in parallel programming techniques (MPI/OpenMP/CUDA/OpenACC/OpenCL)
- Extensive experience of working with open source software
- Experience of working in Unix/Linux environment
- Knowledge of computer architectures, in particular parallel architectures and their applicability to running large scientific calculations
- Ability to write in clear and concise language on technical matters and summarise and present such material effectively
- Ability to work to pre-determined time scales and maintain a high quality of work
- PhD in computer science, engineering, applied maths, physics or related discipline with sufficient and demonstrable software development experience
- Experience in scripting languages - e.g. bash, python
- Debugging and profiling experience with industry standard parallel debuggers profilers such as TotalView, Allinea DDT and VTune
- Research experience with academic/industry publications
- Contributor to open source software projects
- Proven experience as a technical leader in a chosen field
- Experience of writing funding applications/business cases
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.