Senior Project Manager
Senior Project Manager
£63,000 max base salary dependent on experience + Benefits
Limited travel - 20%
EXPERIENCE WITH BESPOKE APPLICATIONS AND SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT IS ESSENTIAL.
What you will be doing:
You will be managing a team of highly technical multi-disciplined and enthusiastic radar, hardware and software engineers developing, building and gaining acceptance of the ground based radar cross section measurement system at a number of UK. You will work numerous stakeholders in a diverse team.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Track record of successful delivery of development, build and system integration of complex software and electronic systems projects to defined cost, timescale and budget;
- Sound understanding of the development of radars and test and evaluation systems
- In depth understanding of MOD, MOD agency and stakeholders involved in the development and roll-out of test and evaluation equipment and the proven ability to get what the project needs from the stakeholder to enable successful delivery;
- Proven ability to decompose complex issues, to an appropriate level of detail, in a methodical manner;
- Proven ability to identify, mitigate risks and resolve issues before impact to maintain project timescales and cost;
- Proven ability to get the required resources and draw together team elements from different parts of the business;
- First-hand experience of procurement and tendering processes (e.g. the production of specifications, definition of supplier selection criteria and contracting) and management of suppliers under contract;
- Experience of systems and software engineering disciplines and lifecycle to develop complex products in the defence domain;
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- SC cleared;
- Take ownership of the proposal, budget and team to enable delivery the project to time, cost and quality;
- Build relationships to enable successful engagement with stakeholders (internal and external to the project organisation);
- Lead and motivate the project team (utilising members of the investment team, capability / end-users, business functions) to develop the next generation RCS measurement system;
- Production and ownership of robust project plans and resource/cost schedules (EPM), with which to manage the projects & forecast expenditure
- Direct and constructive management of lower level teams and their plans to ensure that every part of the project is working effectively ;
- Production of open, honest and timely forecasts and reports on the status of the project, using the corporate toolset, as determined by the Line Manager.
- With the Lead Engineer, leadership of the project through the system engineering lifecycle, ensuring that the lifecycle artefacts (business cases, documents, design reviews, etc.) are produced as required
- Delivery of the project safely;
- Support the business to develop future pipeline work;
- Promotion of best practice within the project and ensure that previous lessons learnt are adopted and new lessons identified for future benefit.
Education, Qualifications and Training
- Degree in Project Management, or similar, or;
- Degree in Engineering, or Science with subsequent Project Management qualification or experience.
Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements
- Drive and determination to achieve successful project delivery overcoming problems and issues as they arise and preferably beforehand;
- A proactive and dynamic professional attitude to internal and external customers.
- Pragmatic and reasonable.
- Good problem solving abilities.
- Open, honest and enthusiastic team member.
Desirable Criteria (but not essential)
Experience of managing development of and / or development knowledge of;
- High security classification information management systems;
- Electromagnetic signature measurement and analysis systems;
- Electronic warfare test systems;
- Sonobuoy test systems;
- Acoustic signature measurement systems.
If you would like to hear more about this opportunity or any other I am working please get in contact either via 0161 924 1383 or
All applications will be handled in the strictest of confidence.