Programme Quality Engineer
Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine is a world leading engineering and electronics company specialising in the design, manufacture, installation and servicing of navigation, radar and ship controls systems. As well as serving the commercial fleets of customers around the world such as P&O and Royal Caribbean, Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine is at the forefront of development work on major naval projects.
The role is primarily concerned with process assurance on military programs. It also covers design engineering and the commercial software development of radar and charting products. Sound engineering and quality knowledge is implicit.
- Independent Oversight of all major programs.
- Independent verification and validation to confirm meet customer requirements.
- Raise Corrective Action Requests as necessary to maintain program, process & product quality levels, and follow up on agreed Corrective Actions.
- Provide written Quality Assurance reports as needed.
- Review and authorise customer deliverable documents, change requests and test specifications.
- Facilitate and conduct vendor assessments for key program suppliers.
- Monitor and audit sub-contractors as required to maintain quality integrity.
- Generate program audit schedules, and ensure audits are carried out to schedule.
- Audit all aspects of large programs (including software), and conduct internal ISO9001:2015 audits on the business.
- Ensure all audit observations and non-conformities are followed through to close out internally and at suppliers.
- Compile Program Specific Procedures (PSPs) as required.
- Organise and facilitate program Lessons Learned sessions.
- Attend customer meetings in-house and at the customer facility e.g. Quality Reviews, Progress Reviews, Safety and Test Readiness Reviews.
- Attend and contribute to Project Design Reviews as panel member.
- Monitor Risk Review & Mitigation process, and provide inputs where necessary.
- Generate concessions to customer, and process concessions from suppliers.
- Work closely with Program Teams and Engineering to ensure all required quality standards are met for both hardware and software.
- Inspection of system hardware builds and wiring to drawings.
- Raising Defect Reports and facilitating internal and customer product Non-conformance Reviews.
- Witness integration, test & acceptance activities making sure they are conducted in accordance with documentation and good practice.
- To attend Sea Trials as needed.
- Review and co-authorise document and Engineering artefact releases.
- Change co-authorisation with Engineering (Change notes, review boards).
- Conduct and report technical investigations of new and existing product issues.
- Manage the performance and development of all staff who report in (applicable only where job holder has line management responsibilities).
- Support the NGSM Continuous Improvement strategy and flow down of C/I initiatives.
- To take reasonable care for your own health and safety and that of other persons around you. Please refer to the Company’s Health & Safety Policy for full details.
- To be aware of and comply with Company Standards of Conduct and all relevant statutory requirements.
- To carry out any other reasonable management request.
- Technical/Job Specific Skills & Qualifications:Required/Desirable:
- Experience of working on large Government defence and commercial programs.
- Batchelor’s Degree preferred otherwise equivalent e.g. HND; in science, technical, software or engineering subject plus relevant experience.
- Sound knowledge of international and defence engineering and quality standards.
- Sound knowledge of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Standard.
- Qualified Auditor preferred, otherwise relevant experience of internal auditing and supplier assessment.
- Knowledge of modern electronic and mechanical assemblies and manufacturing.
- Knowledge of software development, integration and test life cycle and methodologies (Waterfall, Agile).
- Able to attend Sea Trials.
- Security cleared, or capable of it, UK National with no dual nationality.
- Knowledge of document configuration management processes.
- Knowledge of the marine industry.
- Familiar with Marine Equipment Directive.
- Experience of Platform Management Systems in safety applications.
- Navy/Marine experience, Master Mariner.
- Experience with Radar/electronic charting or other electronic navigational systems.
- A basic level of understanding of functional safety and safety cases to IEC 61508 or similar.
- A basic level of understanding of applicable Defence Standards 00-57, 00-56, 00-55, JSP 440
We will offer you:
- Competitive salary and benefits (pension, subsidised staff restaurant, salary sacrifice schemes (cycle to work scheme and KiddiVoucher scheme), car parking, buy and sell holiday option, single healthcare cover, flexible working scheme option
- Excellent training opportunities
- Friendly and supportive working environment
- Job type – full time, permanent