Technical Lead - Network Research
Within the Data Science practice, this organisation focuses on four specific capability areas of 'Big Data Processing', 'Machine Learning', 'Packet Processing' and 'Network Protocols'. Combining these capabilities to solve client problems by extracting information from vast quantities of complex real world data.
This role fits within their Network Protocols capability area and is for an experienced Technical Lead to help deliver world class inventive and innovative networking infrastructure and protocol research to address clients' operational requirements.
As the Technical Lead, you will engage with customers and stakeholders during the definition and delivery phases of research tasks giving you the opportunity to influence thinking and to shape the approach. Customers span Defence, National Security and Commercial markets and you will work across all three applying technology and concepts from one market to another.
- Technical lead for low-to-mid TRL research and demonstration activities within small, but often multi-organisation teams.
- Working on projects such as helping to shape next generation military communications.
- Guide and mentor for junior staff.
- Peer review of technical / engineering work.
- Support to business development (development of follow-on work and new proposal development)
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes
- A good technical understanding of network protocols. Specifically:
- Internet Protocol suite (IPv4, IPv6)
- Network security protocols including IPSec
- Network management and routing protocols including SDN, OSPF, BGP
- A good appreciation of current and emerging networking concepts including cloud computing, virtualisation.
- A good understanding of how the above are, and can be, used in defence and commercial communications applications.
- Awareness of relevant defence equipment programmes and commercial technology developments including 5G and IoT.
- Experience of engineering in a collaborative context, e.g. research or standardisation.
- Holds a degree (2:1 or above) in a relevant subject.
- Ability to nurture emerging talent.
- Comfortable transferring skills to other staff.
- Ability to engage with customers.
- Delivers high quality written outputs for customer deliverables and research papers.
- Able to clearly present complex concepts to stakeholders.
Due to the nature of this position, candidates will ideally hold or be eligible to achieve SC and be willing to undergo DV clearance. As a result, candidates will need to be a British Citizen and have resided in the UK for a minimum of 5 consecutive years for SC and a minimum of 10 years for DV. This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including bonus scheme, private medical insurance and pension, along with a whole host of flexible benefits to include childcare vouchers, travel insurance and dental care.