SOC Analyst (Incident Handler)
Salary: £45k - £60k + 12% bonus & benefits.
Primary role purpose
An exciting role to be part of a growing SOC team within our clients communications networks, which provides data communications to various sites and systems as part of Business Infrastructure and Revenue earning systems. These networks are critical to our client's revenue generation and have to be treated as such to provide secure, resilient and timely movement of data. The networks are being expanded as new offices are opened, new systems implemented, new requirements formulated, and to meet current industry standards and best practises.
As part of this network expansion we are looking for a SOC Analyst (Incident Handler) who will conduct vulnerability assessments and monitor systems, networks, databases and Web hosted services for potential system breaches. Respond to alerts from information security tools. Report, investigate and resolve security incidents. Educate and communicate security requirements and procedures to all users and new employees. Recommend changes to enhance systems security and prevent unauthorized access. Research security trends, new methods and techniques used in unauthorized access of data in order to pre-emptively eliminate the possibility of system breach. Ensure compliance with regulations and privacy laws.
Key responsibilities of the position
- Act as a first line security event analyst monitoring the Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) System. Monitor the alarm console; provide initial analysis of logs and network traffic; and make security event determinations on alarm severity, escalation, and response routing.
- Provide first line telephone, e-mail and ticket routing services for security event notifications and incident response processes.
- Deliver first level investigation and remediation activities as a member of the Security Incident Response Team. Participate in Security Incident Response Team (SIRT) events: Conduct research and assessments of security events; provide analysis of firewall, IDS, anti-virus and other network sensor produced events; present findings as input to SIRT.
- Participate in a Compliance/Vulnerability Assessment (VA) Scanning Capability. Follow a documented process for routine scanning of infrastructure and network elements. Develop mitigation and remediation plans as a result of the vulnerability assessment findings.
- Monitor threat and vulnerability news services for any relevant information that may impact installed infrastructure. Analyze reports to understand threat campaign(s) techniques, lateral movements and extract indicators of compromise (IOCs).
- Create and update security event investigation notes, conduct shift change reports on open cases, and maintain case data in the Incident Response Management platform.
- Document information security operations policies, process and procedures.
- The post will require rotating 24X7 shift work to include daytime, night time, and weekend work.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- A University degree level education or equivalent in Information Security, Forensics, or Computer Science; or at least two (2) years of related experience and/or training in the field of IT security monitoring and analysis, cyber threat analysis, and vulnerability analysis.
- Understanding of performing 1st level analysis and interpretation of information from SOC systems; incident identification/analysis, escalation procedures, and reduction of false-positives.
- A Global Information Assurance Certification (GIAC) Certified Incident Handler (GCIH), GIAC Certified Intrusion Analyst (GCIA), or equivalent certification would be advantageous.
- Intermediate knowledge of Information Security fundamentals, technologies, and design principals.
- Understanding or proven experience in securing Windows, Linux, Oracle and VM platforms.
- Understanding or proven experience of QRadar or similar Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools for analysing network and security incidents.
- Experience in Tenable Network Security Nessus, BeyondTrust Retina or similar Vulnerability Assessment (VA) scanner operations for identifying network and platform risks and mis-configurations.
- Willingness to learn new skills and be self-motivated.
- Ability to work in a team environment, to work under pressure and show flexibility.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
Huntress does not discriminate on the grounds of 'protected characteristics' as defined under the Equality Act and other relevant UK legislation.
Huntress acts as a Recruitment Agency in relation to all Permanent roles and as a Recruitment Business in relation to all Temporary roles.
PLEASE NOTE: We can only consider applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK.