Capita Secure Information Solutions
JOB TITLE: PROJECT MANAGER
Location : UK nationwide
The Projects organisation has responsibility for the delivery of solutions to new and existing customers via teams of Project Managers. This role is responsible for simultaneously managing multiple Projects to ensure all tasks are executed effectively and in accordance with best practise.
Scope of role
Working within one of the project groups below, the holder will simultaneously deliver multiple Projects ranging in size, financials and complexity:
- Product Development - significant research and development (R&D) technology projects
- Product Delivery Projects - implementation and handover of new and existing products
- In-Life Projects - significant upgrade and technology refresh of existing, in service products
- Transition and Transformation Projects - external, service transition and business process re-engineering (BPR)
- Business Change Projects - internal, change and acquisition transition
The holder will be expected to have experience of at least two of the above and to be able to move between these groups, and potentially manage projects across groups, as business needs require.
The role will also require supporting the development of processes and operating these to achieve the repeatable and efficient execution of projects across a variety of technologies.
As a leadership role, the holder will be expected to take complete ownership and accountability for their projects.
Financial responsibility levels
Projects up to multi-million pound value.
Staff management responsibilities
Indirect, matrix management of a Project Team.
The holder will be accountable for managing multiple projects simultaneously, ensuring the successful delivery of projects ranging in size, financials and complexity. The projects may be in a new or undefined business area, environment or technology and they are required to be delivered within timeframe, to agreed specification and within budget whilst maintaining and improving the proft margin. The holder will ensure the customers' business benefits are achieved and the customer is totally satisfied with the quality of the project delivered.
Key accountabilities are:
- Set the Goals and Objectives for the Project within a Project Initiation Document
- Creation and management of Project documentation including Quality, Change Management, Information Security and HS&E Plans
- Agree the overall project schedule of work including resource requirments
- Negotiate for allocation of appropriate resources from across the business
- Ensuring all work is properly scoped, planned, costed and risks / issues identified and resolved or mitigated in advance
- Ensuring all work is executed in a controlled manner, completed reliably within allocated timescales, systems are handed over to customers / support teams fault free and through life costs are minimised
- Manage internal and 3rd party resources on and off site so as to maximise their contribution, including external sub contractors, providing appropriate support and guidance where necessary
- Allocate work packages and tasks to relevant individuals, supervise execution of work and managing issues to resolution
- Produce and maintain a risk and issue register with respect to delivery of the overall schedule; identify and track associated actions reporting to senior management where appropriate
- Management and mitigation of on-going risks and issues and production of contingency plans where necessary
- Produce and maintain register of lessons learned
- Responsible for timely production of project invoices
- Ensure successful project closure and handover
- Produce accurate, reliable and timely monthly financial Operational Reports for each project
- Produce regular Project Progress Reports covering key work completed and upcoming, critical risks and issues and programme financial performance
- Provide data to support the Programme Dashboard
- Produce a closeout report for each project completed, in particular identifying lessons learned
- Ensure Project Gateway Reviews and key Project milestones are identified, planned and held effectively and in accrodance with quality process to assure Project delivery
- Ensure key Engineering milestones are identified, planned and held effectively and in accrodance with quality process to ensure Technical Solutions are in line with requirements
- Chair project Checkpoint/Progress Meetings, produce subsequent minutes and progress actions
- Attend and lead when required Project Board Meetings
- Support and contribution to Process Improvements and ensure all activities are performed in accordance with the relevant company processes and agreed project quality standards (e.g. Gated Reviews, ISO20000 Service Management), procedures and policies (e.g. Information Security, HS&E)
- Act as a single point of contact for the project intenally and externally
- Maintain strong relationships to manage key internal stakeholders
- Maintain strong relationships to manage complex external stakeholder structures, be they Customers, End Users, Partners, Suppliers or 3rd Parties
- Seek opportunities and produce proposals for variation orders within the projects
- Support sales effort by providing Project Management expertise to bidding activities
Education and Qualifications
BTech or equivalent
APM / PMI
Degree or equivalent
Successfully delivered Projects within at least two of the stated project groups
Successfully delivered high value and complex Projects within more than two of the stated project groups
Support to Bids
Customer Facing Skills
Comfort around Senior Management
Earned Value Management
Follow Capita on twitter @capitacareers
Follow Capita on facebook @careersatcapita
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
If you are successful with your application, you will need complete Capita's vetting and screening checks. This will include, but not be limited to, Reference Checks, a Criminality Check, Financial Probity Check, Sanctions Check and Media Check.