Development Services Manager
As a key leadership role, reporting to the Technical Operations Manager, the Development Services Manager is accountable for coordinating and managing the day-to-day IT Development Function within Service Birmingham, ensuring an efficient, quality driven development services function is maintained.
As a key member of the Applications Technical Operation management team you will be the service owner for all development requirements.
- Responsibility for the day-to-day management of the software development process including concept design, functional and technical design, signoff, development, testing, release and subsequent troubleshooting.
- To assign management mandated software requests to the most appropriate team/developer and prioritise workload as necessary.
- Responsibility for the timely resolution of both technical problems as well as human resources issues within the Development Services Team.
- Monitoring individual employees' performance.
- Mentoring and coaching staff under line management responsibility.
- Ensure that team size and ratios are set at optimal levels.
- On a regular basis, assess and report on the training needs of the department.
- Be a communication channel for the flow of development and project status information.
- Ensure development tools, techniques and working methods used are efficient and effective.
- Ensure development processes and testing do not jeopardise the integrity and functionality of the business applications.
- Demonstrably improve the efficiency of the software development process through the application of technology and working practices.
- Collaborate with the operational teams to define product vision and roadmaps.
- Provide validated costs for all quote requests.
- Build and maintain relationships between all stakeholders.
- Responsible for the delivery of projects assigned to the Development Services Team.
- Maintain a comprehensive appreciation of appropriate technologies.
Must be able to communicate at all levels and be a central point of contact for business operational queries.
Previous management/ leadership experience in a software development organisation.
Extensive experience working through the design, development, release cycle, and delivering software products to specified requirements.
Have a record of successful delivery of software applications as an individual, Team Leader and/or Development Manager.
Strong understanding of the software development cycle.
Strong leadership, project management skills, time management, and problem solving skills.
Self-motivated, team player, action and results oriented.
Well organised, good communication and reporting skills.
High attention to detail.
Ability to successfully work under tight project deadlines while managing multiple streams of work.
Demonstrate behaviour in line with company values:
Deliver it right first time.
Respect our customers and treat them fairly.
Support employee development.
Take ownership and responsibility.
Collaborate and communicate openly and honestly.
A good understand of the following development technologies are required as well as understanding their roles in the product landscape:
Microsoft .NET technologies
Software development practices (such as Agile, Waterfall and V-model)
- To undertake personal development as required enabling the effective leading of the service.
- To effectively lead on equal opportunities and quality initiatives and support staff development.
- To lead the development and application of standards and procedures.
- Prepared to work at various Capita sites in support of business requirements
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong dynamic manager who is driven to deliver a quality service.
- Technical innovator.
- Operates at a senior level.
- Prepared to work in other locations on other accounts.
- Good communicator at all levels of the organisation.
- Works under own initiative.
- Team player.
- Presentation skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Good managerial and interpersonal skills.
- Self starter - take an idea and run with it.
- Not afraid of a challenge.
Hardworking individual, who will go the extra mile.
Follow Capita on twitter @capitacareers
Follow Capita on facebook @careersatcapita
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
If you are successful with your application, you will need complete Capita's vetting and screening checks. This will include, but not be limited to, Reference Checks, a Criminality Check, Financial Probity Check, Sanctions Check and Media Check.