Systems Administrator (GIS)
Role: GIS Systems Administrator
Location: Gloucestershire, South West, Cambridge, London
Salary: £40000 to £45000 + bonus + benefits
My client is a leading provider of end to end Geographic Information Systems (GIS) solutions for the management and exploitation of information in the defence and security domain
There is a new opportunity for a GIS Systems Administrator to join the Systems Team which provides ICT solution design, implementation and technical support to the customer base within the Defence and Security domain as well as providing the same level of support to the internal company network.
The GIS Systems Administrator will be an integral member of Systems Team and will offer proven ICT technical skills at or beyond the Intermediate level plus GIS technical skills, predominately using Esri technology.
The GIS Systems Administrator activities includes:
- Assisting in the technical integration, configuration and development outputs for GIS system implementation
- Identify, interpret, and evaluate systems and network requirements
- Supporting remote users via remote control software and telephone
- Work embedded into customer organisations to provide direct support to the customer
- Assisting in installation of computer and networking hardware
- Assisting in monitoring network performance, security and IT infrastructure
- Assisting in recommending improvements to systems and network configurations, determine hardware or software requirements
The following technical skills are considered pre-requisites for the System Administrator:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of a GIS and its applications to support business decision making
- Experience of geospatial data management in file based and RDBMS environments
- Advanced knowledge of ArcGIS Server at v 10 and later
- Solid background of Windows products: Server OS (2008, 2012), Desktop (Win 7, 8.1)
- Hyper-V and VMware background, building, configuring and maintaining systems
- In depth understanding of system networking, load balancing, firewall, routers, switches
- Able to problem solve Hardware/Software issues within complex ICT environments
- Experience of security implementation on IT infrastructures
- Educated up to at least BSc at 2:1, in ICT and Engineering, GIS or related discipline.
- Several years’ system administration experience
- British Citizen (foreign nationals by exception) holding a High-Level Security clearance (or willingness/ ability to achieve clearance).
- Resident in the UK for the last ten years.
- Industry certifications (CompTIA, Microsoft, VMware, Cisco)
- Knowledge of Microsoft System Centre 2012
- Knowledge of SQL, Exchange and AV products and services
- Understanding or experience in delivering secure IT solutions.
- Experience of the use of GIS within ICT systems
- Experience of implementing and maintaining Server/Client based application solutions
- Basic knowledge of OGC standards
- Experience of designing and implementing geospatial work flows
Other requirements include
- Willing to travel on a national and international basis and to work off site for short periods of time throughout the year.
- The role will require regular attendance at the company offices in Gloucestershire with the remainder of the time on client sites or, by exception, home working.
- Willing to be on call outside of normal office hours for resolution of system issues