Capita, the UKS Leading Business Process outsourcer have an opportunity for an Infrastructure Architect to join us in the Data Communications Company and design and support development of integration to existing telecommunications and data services in the energy marketplace.Background
The Data and Communications Company (DCC) is delivering a once-in-a-generation programme to build a smart metering network for Great Britain.
Perhaps the most ambitious of its kind in the world, the programme will allow energy suppliers to roll out millions of smart electricity and gas meters to homes and small non-domestic properties. Funded by the energy industry, the network will connect smart meters to the business systems of energy suppliers, network operators and other authorised service users.
The smart metering network will help Great Britain become a global leader in smart energy and the development of smart grids.
DCC (a licensed Capita company) is the programme and service integrator working on behalf of the energy industry to establish and operate the data and communications infrastructure that will enable all UK homes to have a smart meter by 2020.
The Infrastructure Architect will hold responsibility for development of technical designs in the following areas:
- Cloud network technologies
- Network connectivity between multiple parties and services
- Design of robust, scalable network architecture to support the programme
- Performance strategies for infrastructure
- deployment models
- server sizing (in depth knowledge of auto scaling would be advantageous)
- load balancing
- monitoring and error trapping
- network protocols
- Security patterns and techniques
- Integration to commodity communications services for smart meters from multiple mobile network providers
- Integration to one or more data services provided by Smart Meter Systems Operators (SMSOs)
- Test and refine designs through rapid prototyping using Agile methods - the SMETS1 Design process uses prototyping as a positive feedback loop for service design
- Working with DCC colleagues to design the integration of existing SMETS1 services into the DCC Service Management regime
- Design artefacts must be packaged for assurance processes, both internal and external
- Participation in wider DCC architectural initiatives e.g. creation of Enterprise Architecture
- Confidently engaging with programme stakeholders, including externally with BEIS, Energy Suppliers, existing SMETS1 providers etc.
Skills and Experiences Essential
- Experience of infrastructure architecture roles
- Roles in large ICT and customer-focused programmes
- Delivery in multi-disciplinary teams
- In depth knowledge of working with
- Linux and Windows Environments
- Applications and Databases
- Cloud hosting solutions (including hybrid approaches)
- Understanding of TOGAF and application of it's principles
- Effective communicator - both written and spoken
- Analytical approach to problem solving
- Ability to produce high-quality, concise written documentation
- An eye for detail, ability to review/quality assure documentation and provide constructive feedback
- Communicate complex concepts and ideas through visual models
- Proven track of applying analytical tools and methods
- Good experience of workshop facilitation
- Design, build and manage complex financial models
- What's in it for you?
- At Capita, training and development aren't optional extras: they're how we do our job. We will motivate you to perform at your peak, recognising your achievements and rewarding them appropriately. As well as a generous basic salary we also give you 23 day's holiday ( after 2 years goes to 25 days and after 5 years to 27 days), company pension scheme and access to voluntary benefit options including; child care vouchers, share save scheme, life assurance, holiday buy and many more designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional but fun environment
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process - click apply now.
Capita operates as an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, disability, age, political opinions or trade union membership.
Listen | Create | Deliver
Follow Capita on twitter @capitacareers
Follow Capita on facebook @careersatcapita
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
If you are successful with your application, you will need complete Capita's vetting and screening checks. This will include, but not be limited to, Reference Checks, a Criminality Check, Financial Probity Check, Sanctions Check and Media Check.