Linux Engineer - SC Cleared - Malvern
Security Cleared - Linux Engineer - Malvern
A Linux Engineer is required to join the UKs leading partner in science and technology research.
This role is part of the Network Security and Linux team with primary focus on Cyber Security and Corporate IT Services.
The successful candidate will require existing SC Security Clearance. If you are not currently SC Cleared you will not be eligible for this position.
The Linux Engineer is responsible for installation, configuration, support, troubleshooting and patching of servers running a Linux operating system.
- Support the effective delivery of operational support for Live Services by administering and maintaining internal and customer owned Linux systems, progressing maintenance schedules, system upgrades and service desk tickets.
- Ensure the amount of live system downtime is minimised by the timely recovery of incidents tickets in line with Service Level Agreements.
- Liaise with the relevant parties (Colleagues, Service Delivery Managers and External Customers) regarding resolution of Linux Platform technical problems.
- Technical management of Linux Systems.
- Plan and undertake planned maintenance activities (e.g. patching) on the Linux Systems and ad-hoc tasks as defined by the IT Operations Manager.
- Ensure relevant Linus Platform documentation is full and complete and communicate any shortfalls to colleagues and Line Management. Pro-actively identify candidates for 'Pre-Approved' Changes.
- Installation, configuration and troubleshooting of Linux Systems based on Physical and Virtual technologies.
- Operational support of all Linux Systems and solutions within the estate as required.
- Provide out-of-hours support for 24x7x365 services via an on-call rota. Attend site out of hours as required and ensure any retrospective actions relating to emergency solutions are completed without delay.
- Enterprise Linux, primarily RedHat and Centos in a Clustered/HA deployment.
- MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Bind, SSH, FTP
- IPTables, SELinux,
- Shell scripting
Experience & Qualifications
- Desirable qualification: RHCE
- Comfortable working with tools available from the command line interface
- Familiar with best practices with regard to Linux server hardening
- Experience working in a highly available environment
- Experience maintaining systems according to Service Level Agreements following change control processes and procedures.
- ITIL experience is desirable
- Proven ability to analyse and troubleshoot technical
- problems to a root cause
- Demonstrable experience in problem ownership from identification to resolution and prevention
Information about the package
This role is looking at paying up to £40,000 for the right candidate, with extra that can be earned from the 1 in 4 week on call rota.
We are immediately recruiting for this position so please clicks apply now. For more information, please call 0161 924 3659 or email