Java Developer / Software Engineer - Java
Software Engineers - Java - Permanent - Somerset - £20,000 - £45,000 per annum
The successful candidate will provide software development expertise to the Software Engineering team, developing new systems and supporting existing ones.
- Develop large and small applications and enhance existing applications
- Support applications
- Provide technical advice to internal and external customers
- Analyse customer requirements and problems, then implement solutions
- Document changes to systems
- The post holder will be part of the team responsible for providing 24*7 support for key systems and may be required to be on-call on a rota basis.
- Design and build software using agreed standards and tools, sometimes acting as the most senior developer in a small team. This includes influencing other developers to use appropriate technologies and follow processes.
- Autonomously support existing applications, including error tracing and fixing.
- Document all work in accordance with agreed standards
- Conduct reviews of specifications, product backlogs etc. in order to provide feedback on technical issues and create work estimates.
- Take an active role in software development events, such as daily scrums, scrum sprint plans, service review etc. Exemplify appropriate behaviour for a Scrum developer, influencing others to do the same.
- Lead evaluations and reviews of programming methods, tools and standards.
- Continually develop own skills as part of a programme of professional development and mentor others.
- Any other reasonable duties as required by the line manager.
- Evidence of up to date professional development practices; including: - Design Principles - Unit/Automated testing - Development methodologies Evidence of an interest in development technologies, and a track record of continuous personal improvement.
- Good logical reasoning and ability to resolve complex problems.
- Good working knowledge of Java
- Automated testing including unit testing
- MongoDB or other NoSQL databases
- Database design and ETL processes
- GeoSpatial systems experience
- SQL Server
- Windows Server (2003 or later)
- Team Foundation Server
- Engagement with sources of technical knowledge and best practice, applying this to one's work
- Experience of working within a service delivery environment with a good understanding of the ITIL framework.
- Experience of creating and working from UML-based design documentation.
- Experience of code refactoring
- Experience of designing and writing unit tests.
- Experience of applying design patterns and other design techniques.
You will be required to hold a minimum of SC security clearance. If you do not hold an active SC clearance please familiarise yourself with the vetting process before applying.
Hit the 'Apply now' button to apply and to discuss this role further. We will be delighted to hear from you!
(c) Copyright Datasource Computer Employment Limited 2016.