The Outpatient and Therapies team at North London Hospice are in need of volunteer drivers to support our patients.
We are aware that Police Officers will have a high number of skills which will be transferable to our environment and wondered whether newly-retired Officers would like to support us.
We offer services to anyone affected by a potentially life limiting condition living in the boroughs of Enfield, Haringey and Barnet.
We offer rehabilitation and self management, wellbeing services, psychological support and symptom control as well as a social programme for those who are socially isolated.
We like to be able to offer transport to enable people to get to their appointments the hospice but are desperately short of volunteer drivers to transport the patients in and out.
We have two wheelchair accessible vehicles and volunteers can use also their own cars and claim their expenses.
We have opportunities for volunteer drivers to transport patients as well as other driving tasks such as moving our communication folder around our 3 sites, collecting drugs and blood from the local hospitals.
Most of our outpatient work is carried out on our Winchmore Hill and Finchley sites.
Drivers can volunteer for a whole day or part of a day, weekly, daily or just occasionally.
All of our patient facing volunteers are offered a 3 day training programme as part of their induction to the hospice and its works alongside some emotional resilience training.
Overall to Volunteerary Engagement Lead Services Manager[TL1]
Day Centre Senior NurseAssociate Director of Outpatients and Therapies
Centre Administrator (Winchmore Hill), Front of House (Finchley), In-patient unit ward clerk (Finchley), Triage Secretary, Community Secretary ( Haringey, Enfield, Barnet)
Variable – part of a day, a whole day or ad-hoc
Predominantly during working hours Monday to Friday 09.00 – 17.00 hrs
Some ad-hoc driving outside of these days/hours
TYPE OF DRIVING:
Collection and delivery of clinical equipment, notes and communications
Collection and delivery of blood or drugs
Cover three boroughs - Barnet, Enfield and Haringey
North London Hospice in Winchmore Hill, 110 Barrowell Green, N21 3 AY
North London Hospice in Finchley , 47 Woodside Avenue, N12 8TT
North London Hospice in Haringey, St Annes Hospital, St Annes Road, N15 5TH
Patients attend services on the Winchmore Hill and Finchley sites
- To cConvey ollect and return patients from their home address to outpatient and therapy appointmentsthe hospice Day Centre and return. These occur on the Winchmore Hill site and the Finchley site.
- To tTake/return patients to outpatient appointments at other healthcare sites from the Inpatient Unit (IPU) at Finchley..
Assist in taking patients on outings.
- To dDeliver/collect clinical equipment to/from patients’ homes and other healthcare sites., and collect when no longer needed.
- Assist driving patients relatives to and from the hospice.
- To collect drugs and blood from hospitals or pharmacies and deliver to the IPU.
- To escort patients alongside the driver to and from outpatient appointments and/or from IPU for hospital appointments.
- Volunteers who use their own vehicle for the purpose of transporting patients must inform their insurance company of this. Confirmation of this must be submitted to the Volunteer Engagement Lead.
- Volunteers who use their own vehicle are required to have use of a car in good state of repair, with current MOT, tax and insurance. Confirmation of this must be submitted to the Volunteer Co-ordinator annually.