Knowledge and Information Agent
The Knowledge Management and Exploitation Group (KME), in Knowledge and Information Services (KIS), is Dstl’s gateway to the internal knowledge of Dstl (and its predecessors), to MOD-sponsored research and to open scientific, technical and business literature. As such, it has a multi-faceted role supporting not just Dstl, but also MOD, its agencies, the wider defence community and Other Government Departments (OGDs).
The KME Group supports a wide client base within Dstl by exploiting open-source, subscription and defence related resources.
As well as promoting information literacy within the organisation, the Group supports the delivery of strategic improvements in Knowledge Management, including social business software and wikis.
• Engage with clients to determine/refine their requirements and advise on the best course of action to meet their information and knowledge needs.
• Provide timely, literature-based research deliverables, enabling clients to make informed decisions, by exploiting appropriate resources for internal, academic and open source information.
• Provide training to enable Dstl staff to fully engage with and benefit from the various knowledge and information resources available to them.
Key Performance Indicators
• Delivery of tasked work to acceptable cost, time and quality, as laid out in the tasking from Team Leader, to the satisfaction of the Team Leader and clients.
• Demonstration of impact of work undertaken.
• Demonstration of appropriate behaviours in line with the Civil Service Competency Framework.
Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills
• Well-developed verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of colleagues and clients.
• Ability to present information in relevant, appropriate formats using appropriate language for audience.
• Very IT literate, with good knowledge of the functionality of Microsoft Office packages
• Ability to deliver work to deadlines.
• Ability to effectively organise/prioritise workload
• A degree in a STEAM subject (science, technology, engineering, analysis or mathematics) or equivalent experience.
• Demonstrable experience of literature-based research or literature-based work in a scientific, technical, engineering, analytical, mathematical, or military-related domain.
• Demonstrable experience of assessing the quality and reliability of information resources
• Demonstrable experience of analysing scientific or technical information
• An understanding of Basic Information Systems, Information Management and/or Knowledge Management would be beneficial
• Demonstrable experience of providing effective training.
• Experience of using social media in a work context
• Experience and use of MediaWiki or other wiki software
We'll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Collaborating and partnering
- Leading and communicating
- Making effective decisions
In return for playing your part in the UK’s defence and security, we offer extensive benefits that include everything from a pension and generous leave, to excellent learning and development opportunities – all in addition to a competitive salary. Our sites are equipped with gyms and restaurants. But it’s not just your working environment that we’ve thought about. Your home life is important too, which is why we offer a truly flexible work-life balance. In short, we’ve done our best to ensure that our rewards reflect your talents.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.