Welder - Plymouth
A market leading FTSE 100 Defence organisation is currently recruiting Welders to take on permanent positions ASAP. The company is highly regarded for its employee recognition and vital position in today's market place. You will be a driven individual who is looking to work in a fast paced environment with supportive team in a diverse and challenging environment.
You will be an integral in ensuring serviceability of this fleet through detailed maintenance and refit periods by working within multi-trade teams on structural alterations and repairs onboard ships and submarines as well as in dedicated workshop facilities.
The main responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Build structural modules from engineering drawings
- Align and prepare the weld join and then weld structural seem to a specified weld procedure (material thickness is typically 8mm-24mm)
- Ability to use basic gouge and edge preparation through grinding
- Competent with weld processes such as MMA, MIG Flux-core and occasionally TIG in mainly carbon steel and stainless. Quality tested at either Lloyds or EN287
- To be able to carry out surveys and pre-refit examinations of bulkheads and marine structural systems
- Work to engineering drawings and technical specifications including Weld Instruction Sheets (WIS)
- Operating in a high risk environment you will have a good understating and respect for Health & Safety for yourself and other around you to ensure that everyone goes home safe every day
The successful candidate will display the following skills, experience and qualifications:
- Competent in the use of general workshop machinery and hand tools related to the role such as the use of grinders, guillotines and band saws
- Ability to read engineering drawings and interpret work instructions
- Proven track record of completing work on time, cost and quality parameters
- Ideally will have worked in the marine industry with experience of Naval Ships and Submarines, Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessels or large commercial ships. Other relevant experience will be considered.
- Indentured Apprenticeship OR Level 3 Modern Apprenticeship in a sheet metal, structural steel or fabrication related discipline OR Level 2/3 Modern Apprenticeship in Fabrication & Welding
What's on offer:
25 days annual leave
Competitive pension contribution
Share Save Scheme
Childcare Voucher Scheme
Cycle to work scheme
If you would like to be considered for the aforementioned position please submit an application or contact Tom Dugmore on 0117 930 9775