Principal Safety and Environmental Engineer
Principal Safety & Environmental Engineer - Plymouth
A leading FTSE 100 company is currently recruiting for a Principal Electrical System Engineer to take on a permanent position ASAP. The company is highly regarded for its employee recognition and vital position in today's market place. You will be a driven individual who is looking to work in a fast paced environment with supportive team in a diverse and challenging environment.
You will be working alongside other highly qualified and experienced engineers to deliver the design and technical capability to directly support the Royal Navy's Type 23 Frigates, Amphibious Warships and Single Role Mine Hunters.
The successful applicant will be responsible for interpreting customer requirements, setting and implementing the Safety and Environmental policy and processes and leading the Safety and Environmental Engineering team to fully optimise activities performed on complex platforms through informed analysis of the up-to-date material state for the Class. The position holder will be responsible for ensuring that all in scope tasks identified in the WBS are completed.
The main responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Lead the Safety and Environmental engineering outputs ensuring that Ships meet SSA COM requirements through the provision of authoritative evidence that demonstrates that design intent has been achieved.
- Be the professional lead for Safety & Environmental engineering and manage the Safety & Environmental engineering team SQEP, developing the training and capability to make this a sustainable function within the Common Support Model ensuring processes and SQEP are maintained to deliver the outputs of the Technical Authority.
- Maintain an up to-date safety register of Industry personnel with delegated safety responsibilities ensuring they are SQEP with requisite competencies to carry out their duties to meet the stringent requirements of DSA02DMR (MOD Shipping Regulations for Safety and Environmental Protection).
- Maintain awareness of existing MoD safety and environmental policies, subsequent changes and responsibilities of the various MoD safety authorities and their agents. This is to include all procedures/standards required during operational/ upkeep periods which have safety implications.
- Produce a list of standards and S& E regulations to be applied to Platforms
- Maintain a list of standards and regulations to be applied to Platforms
- Monitor and analyse new platform standards and regulations including assessment of impact
- Maintain adherence to new and updated platform standards and regulations
- Analyse, devise mitigations & implement mitigations for Environmental Impacts
- Produce Environmental Impact Assessment Reviews against regulatory and legislative changes
- Generate supporting evidence in support of fire certification:
- Ship compartment survey and assessment meetings.
- Hazard Log to be updated to reflect changes detailed in fire safety meeting minutes.
- Maintain Platforms within Classification Rules
- Co-ordinate and implement a plan for the provision of evidence for Key Hazard Certification.
- Produce and maintain a list of Hazard Certificates held by each ship in the class. Identify any exemptions and exclusions in certification for each ship in the class.
- Produce and maintain plans for managing security accreditation.
- Establish and regularly review Class and platform accreditation status and risks. Manage actions to maintain Class and platform accreditation.
- Produce assessments of the impact of the Installation Solution on safety and the environment (SECD).
- Manage Cat A Safety and Environmental Maintenance Concession requests.
The successful candidate will display the following skills and experience:
- Professionally registered engineer at CEng or above or actively pursuing chartership.
- Degree qualified or above - preferably Safety and Environmental Engineering or with relevant experience at the discretion of the Warships Head of Platform Engineering Services.
- Experience with Technical Authority roles and functions.
- Experience with Ships' System installations and through life support.
- Competency in verbal and written communication at Manager level.
- Operating at Manager level.
- Experienced Safety and Environmental manager and practitioner
- Safety and Environmental Case Development, and management of hazard/safety registers
What's on offer:
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave
- Competitive pension contribution
- Share Save Scheme
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
If you would like to be considered for the aforementioned position please submit an application or contact Tom Dugmore on 0117 9309 775