Principal Firmware Engineer
Principal Firmware Engineer
Raytheon is looking for a Principal Firmware Engineer experienced in VHDL based design to take overall responsibility for the technical solution on one or more of the power conversion projects for the More Electric Aircraft. This role is the focal point for the complete engineering solution on a new flagship programme, overseeing the technical integration of contributions from all other engineering disciplines. It represents a unique and exciting opportunity for an experienced Technical Leader to really make their mark on a broad and varied range of aviation power product developments.
The ability to work on projects from initial concept stage, developing the concepts through to final production is a key requirement. Alongside this, the ability to successfully interface with 3rd parties (for example: suppliers, industry experts, Universities, Customers) to understand how to realise a final product is also a major requirement for the role.
Above all, this is the ideal opportunity for a self-starting principal engineer who wants to work on exciting aviation projects and make a difference.
- Experience of VHDL based FPGA design and verification techniques.
- Experience in interpretation of customer specs and end use environments .
- Deriving detailed FPGA/firmware requirements for complex systems.
- Designed to meet and follow processes such as RTCA D0-254 or similar.
- Practical experience of FPGA technology from Xlinix, Altera and/or Actel.
- Ability to de-bug and test new firmware designs and supporting module and system related test, verification and integration.
- Good knowledge of high power, electro-mechanical and / or thermal product design within harsh environments.
- Design circuits in analogue, power and digital
- Fully understand circuit operation, debug, diagnose and implement fixes
- Ability to develop concepts efficiently from limited or vague customer requirements and communicate potential solutions.
- Good problem solving skills, willing to take ownership as well as positively contributing within cross-functional teams.
- Good communication skills. Ability to tailor communications to level and audience at all levels.
- Proven analytical skills in circuit simulation and thermal analysis
- Work with Customers to develop the technical requirements and then manage these requirements through the product development
- Technical leadership of multi-disciplined engineering teams on major programmes
- Understands the principles of 6 Sigma and Lean Manufacturing.
- Experience using the Mentor Graphics tool suit; DxDesigner, Constraints Editor, HyperLynx tools such as Signal Integrity & Power Analyser, SystemVision simulation or equivalents would be advantageous
- Experience in LTspice or PSpice simulation would be advantageous.
- Experienced in system modelling using MATLAB would be advantageous.
- Experienced in the design of Switch Mode Power Supplies.
- Experience of working with DOORS
- Aerospace Industry experience
- BEng/ MSc / MEng /PhD in Electrical / Electronic Engineering or similar, with appropriate specialisation in FPGA/Firmware/digital design techniques and embedded development
- Proven Technical Leadership in Product Developments
Candidates with other qualifications and relevant experience will be considered..
Raytheon UK is a subsidiary of Raytheon Company. We are a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence and have developed strong capabilities in mission systems integration in defence, National & Cyber security and commercial markets. Raytheon UK also designs, develops and manufactures a range of high-technology electronic systems and software solutions at its facilities in Harlow, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Waddington and Broughton.
Raytheon Company, with 2015 sales of $23 billion and 61,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, civil government and cybersecurity solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 94 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5I products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems, as well as cyber security and a broad range of mission support services. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass Raytheon.
Raytheon Career Development:
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
- 25 days holiday + statutory holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance
- Flexible Benefits
- Enhanced sick pay scheme
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success.