Java GUI Application Software Engineer
CellXion is looking for a software engineer with significant project experience developing and maintaining GUI applications written principally in JavaFX and Swing, as well as an Android app version. The candidate will join a small team in enhancing and maintaining the existing applications under the guidance of other team members. Over time more independent working will be expected in order to design, implement and deliver various work packages of new features and enhancements against an agreed release plan.
Successful candidates will have detailed knowledge and experience in the design, implementation, test and debugging of Java applications. An understanding of 3GPP mobile telephony systems (GSM, UMTS & LTE), particularly how channels and bands are planned and arranged as well as any signalling protocol aspects would also be greatly valued. Experience in implementing networked thin-clients is also highly relevant, as well as knowledge of IPv4 networking such as TCP.
In parallel with day to day duties, cellXion promote further self-development of your skills and attributes through personnel development plans and regular performance reviews and may offer relevant training or support where requested or required.
Job Requirements Essential Skills & Qualities
- 2:1 degree or equivalent qualification in Computer Science or a comparable discipline
- Fluent in Java
- Significant project experience developing and maintaining Swing and JavaFX GUI applications
- A passion for computing within projects or hobbies that goes beyond your studies
- A creative and structured approach to problem-solving
- Comfortable communicating within a small team
Desirable Skills and Qualities
The following skills are not essential for this role, but experience in any of the following areas would enhance your application:
- An appreciation of how and why version control software is useful
- Developing Android applications
- Mobile telephony systems such as GSM, UMTS or LTE
- Linux system administration
- Knowledge of other languages, such as C, C++, bash shell scripting, Perl
- Experience of Eclipse, subversion, JIRA or CentOS
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
As a small company, cellXion benefits from individuals that are keen to be involved in both technical problem solving while also helping to drive the development process forward. This approach heralds a flexible culture where employees guide decisions, helping to shape how the team works together and best serves customers. The following behaviours are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
- Self-starting – Your ability to quickly understand and learn new technologies by utilising existing team members, training resources or through self-research
- Time management – Forecasting task durations both at a high and low level, while also being able to appropriately prioritising individual work items
- Creativity – Producing new ways of achieving desired functionality, be it simpler or more efficient, suggesting new units or modules or suggesting product improvements
- Pro-activity – Raising problems early and suggesting or undertaking corrective action to avoid malaise
- Collaboration – Your ability to call on colleagues, customers or other resources to share knowledge or seek their view or experience
- Curiosity and Innovation – Keen interest in how things work (or don't!) with a view to learning from quality components or avoiding mistakes of weak systems or designs
- Team and personal development – Recognition of the importance of personal development,as well as supporting development of a team as a whole
Pension with contributions matched to 5% of salary.
Life assurance and medical care.
26 days annual holiday.
Information for Applicants
All applications must include a sample of Java code they have developed and are prepared to discuss at interview. This could be a small program or class which does something useful or interesting and is complete enough to be understood from the submitted sources. The submission should ideally be less than 2,000 lines. Source need not be complete or compile.
Apply for Java GUI Application Software Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly