Software Development Manager - Farnborough
One of the UK's Leading Partners in Science and Technology Research is looking for a Software Development Manager to be responsible for implementing the software engineering strategy. They are a global organisation that is predominantly based in Europe, North America and Australia, but are going into emerging markets in Africa and South East Asia.
You will ensure that an agile and efficient Software Engineering capability is established, maintained and developed in order to meet the performance objectives, as defined by the Head of Software Engineering. The role is responsible for ensuring the business demand is met through leadership of software engineering skills, competency and capacity within their teams in order to fulfil the demand created by the project, sales and operations functions.
- Capability: Responsible for having appropriate software capability and that it is fit for purpose for the short and long term requirements of the business.
- Capacity: Collaborating with key leaders to ensure that the capacity of their specified group matches the demand for the software engineering skills.
- Culture: They will develop an effective environment that facilitates vibrant and collaborative software teams in line with leadership behaviours and values.
- Change: Accountable for ensuring a smooth transition to the new organisational model, leading members of their skill group through the change.
- Technical Expertise: Working as a key technical expert within programmes improving business delivery through technical excellence by acting as a trusted advisor, mentor and key contributor to the businesses.
- Customer & Industry Relations: Developing colleagues and customers, building and maintaining relationships at a senior management level, and provide support and insight to managers of Business Unit Leadership, demonstrably improving the software capability.
- Company Collaboration: Through partnership and communication, work across business and functional boundaries to create collaborative working relationships that demonstrably drive the software capability.
- Professional Development: Recognised as an expert in the software profession internally with colleagues and in the external market, demonstrate progression against professional software competencies. Driving a culture of continuous professional development within the Software Engineering profession.
- Deep and broad understanding of the software engineering profession
- Ability to challenge poor behaviours and make corrective changes in a diverse organisation
- A respected Leader across the software engineering community
- Significant experience providing advice, assurance and best practice into complex programmes containing a large element of software development
- Deep experience of developing and line managing others and building effective teams
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to quickly understand the broad and diverse technical domains that the software engineering profession supports and the implications to the development and sustainment of capability
Experience & Qualifications
- Significant varied experience working in the software engineering profession with a significant technical leadership background
- Leadership and capability development of large teams to meet specific objectives
- Senior stakeholder engagement and leadership (both internal and external) to ensure successful delivery of complex projects
Location and Clearance
The position is based in Farnborough and requires SC clearance so candidates must have worked/lived in the UK for the last 5 years in order to meet this requirement.
For more information about the role, or to determine if you are eligible for SC Clearance please contact Mark Maxwell on 01619243659.