Public Sector Programme Manager
The Programme and Projects organisation is responsibility for the delivery of solutions to new and existing customers via Programme Managers and teams of Project Managers. This specific role is responsible for managing either a key Programme or a portfolio of Projects (via a group of Project Managers) to ensure all tasks are executed effectively and in accordance with best practise, whilst liaising with Sales & Bid Management to plan and allocate new work.
Scope of role
Depending on the project group, the holder will deliver a key Programme or Line Manage a team of Project Managers, in the latter case the holder will also personally manage certain projects and it is envisaged there will be an approximate split of 50/50 between the two aspects of this role.
The project groups include:
- Major Programmes - significant size, strategic importance or key customer through life support
- Product Development - significant research and development (R&D) technology programmes
- Product Delivery Projects - implementation and handover of new and existing products
- In-Life Projects - significant upgrade and technology refresh of existing, in service products
- Transition and Transformation Projects - external, service transition and business process re-engineering (BPR)
- Business Change Projects - internal, change and acquisition transition
The holder will be expected to have experience of at least two of the above and to be able to move between these groups as business needs dictate.
The role will also require the development of processes to support the repeatable and efficient execution of programmes / projects across a variety of technologies.
As a fully autonomous leadership role, the holder will be expected to take complete ownership and accountability for their area of responsibility and subordinate project staff.
Financial responsibility levels
Multi-million pound value single Programme or portfolio of Projects.
Staff management responsibilities
Indirect, matrix management of an Integrated Programme Team or Line Management of a team of typically up to six Project Managers.
The holder will be accountable for delivering either a key Programme or a portfolio of Projects and will be expected to be able to move between these duties as business needs require. Key accountabilities are:
Specific to delivering a key Programme
- Support Senior Management in developing the Programme Strategy
- Set the Goals and Objectives for the Programme
- Agree the overall programme schedule of work including resource requirments and act as the point of escalation to resolve conflicts
- Build and Lead an Integrated Programme Team, allocate work packages and tasks to relevant individuals, supervise execution of work and managing issues to resolution
- Act as Customer Advocate for the Programme
- Produce accurate, reliable and timely monthly Programme finance reports
- Produce regular Programme Progress Reports covering key work completed and upcoming, critical risks and issues and programme financial performance
- Ensure Technical Solutions and through life customer support are in line with requirements
Specific to delivering a portfolio of Projects
- Engage with key stakeholders to develop and maintain an overall programme schedule of work including resource requirements that look forward 12-18 months, updating reguarly and adding relevant detail as new projects approach
- Allocate projects to relevant Project Managers and supervise execution of work, managing issues to resolution
- Ensure Project Managers produce accurate, reliable and timely monthly Operational Reports for each of their projects
- Ensure Project Managers produce regular Project Progress Reports covering key work completed and upcoming, critical risks and issues and programme financial performance
- Line Management and Personal Development of Project Managers
- Manage own projects in line with the best practise and CSIS Job Description for Project Manager
In either case the holder will also be accoutable for:
- Support and contribution to Process Improvements and ensure all activities are performed in accordance with the relevant company processes (e.g. PRINCE 2, Gated Reviews, ISO20000 Service Management), procedures and policies (e.g. Information Security, HS&E)
- Ensuring all work is properly scoped, planned, costed and risks / issues identified and resolved or mitigated in advance
- Ensuring all work is executed in a controlled manner, completed reliably within allocated timescales, systems are handed over to customers / support teams fault free and through life costs are minimised
Programme / Project Governance
- Produce and maintain a risk and issue register with respect to delivery of the overall schedule; identify and track associated actions reporting to senior management where appropriate
- Ensure that closeout reports are complied for each programme / project completed, in particular identifying lessons learned
- Produce and maintain a Programme Dashboard to convey to major stakeholders the status of the Programme
- Attend Programme / Project Board Meetings
- Act as a point of escalation for all stakeholders, supporting your Programme team or Project Managers as necessary e.g. customer meetings
- Maintain strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Negotiate effectively for allocation of appropriate resources from across the business for your Programme / Project Managers
- Seek opportunities for Project variation orders and ensure these are closed out effectively
- Ensure through life customer Programme requirements are understood and addressed, potentially leading to new project initiation
- Support sales effort by providing Programme / Project Management expertise to bidding activities
Follow Capita on twitter @capitacareers
Follow Capita on facebook @careersatcapita
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.