Chief Engineer - Plymouth
There is a business requirement to appoint a Chief Engineer in to the management team of a new Strategic Infrastructure Directorate based in Devonport.
The Strategic Infrastructure portfolio includes Future Docking Facilities Programme offering the chance to be involved in an exciting and challenging long term infrastructure programme through to 2027 and beyond. This unique opportunity will offer long term career and development prospects for suitably qualified candidates with commitment, personal drive and leadership capabilities.
Currently the focus is on providing facilities suitable to support future submarine deep maintenance programmes, but it is envisaged that the scope will expand to include other nuclear and non-nuclear strategic infrastructure.
The main responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Technical Governance of Strategic Infrastructure Design & Safety Outputs
- Assure compliance with Design & Nuclear Safety Processes
- Assure compliance with DRDL Design Standards
- Review / develop Design Process & Standards
- Provision of independent technical support and advice to Head of Engineering
- Technical oversight of requirements / assumptions management
- Develop and Plan Technical Governance Scope of Work
- Chief Engineer Function Resource Management
- Support Strategic Infrastructure Interface with Office of Nuclear Regulators
- Work with Head Site Asset Design, Head Facility Design & Head Nuclear Safety
- Authority for Approval of Design
- Make financial commitments within the areas of budgetary control in accordance with the scheme of delegation.
- To instruct work to proceed or to stop within the defined framework of responsibility and financial constraints.
- To endorse technical work associated with the facilities and their use in accordance with policy.
The successful candidate will display the following skills and experience:
- CEng - At (or eligible to apply for) Fellow level
- Nuclear Introductory Course. Nuclear Safety Dockyard Course
- Professional Technical experience at Principal Engineer level
- Design Process experience
- Business, Project or Programme Management experience
The Chief Engineer role is focussed on technical governance of the designs in order to provide assurance to the Head of Engineering on all aspects of design and safety.
With an engineering or science degree ideally you will be a chartered engineer and for the two senior posts, preferably operating at Fellow level. The candidate must have a demonstrable technical capability complemented by an appetite for managing and delivering complex problems across the range of engineering disciplines and technologies in a highly regulated environment; experience of working in the nuclear industry would also be advantageous. This significant programme of work will mean that although the role is based in Plymouth travel is essential and candidates will need to have the ability to work flexibly.
What's on offer:
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave
- Competitive pension contribution
- Share Save Scheme
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
If you would like to be considered for the aforementioned position please submit an application or contact Tom Dugmore on 0117 9309 775