Senior Laser Physicist
Senior Laser Physicist (High Energy Lasers)
HAMPSHIRE or WORCESTERSHIRE
c.£48,000 + Full benefits package includes - Contributory pension scheme, share incentive plan, medical scheme, childcare vouchers and other leisure discounts etc
An exciting opportunity has arisen for Senior Laser Physicist to join a leading Global Defence Technology & Security organisation. You will work within the Applied Sciences business unit based at one of their sites in Hampshire or Worcestershire.
You will be a part of the High Energy Laser (HEL) team within the Disruptive Technologies division and, through a thorough knowledge of laser theory will be actively involved in developing techniques, systems and standardised methods of testing and characterisation technologies for novel laser systems
- Advise on theoretical and experimental aspects for novel laser systems including beam propagation and safety considerations
- Undertake technical tasks relating to HEL related research. This will include system and sub-system design activities and leading the related experimental work
- Ensure that you provide continuous communication of current and future projected workload to your line manager
Requirements & Essential Qualifications
- Extensive knowledge or experience in the effects associated with High Energy Lasers, optical systems design, systems modelling and experimental testing/trials.
- Engineering/Technical/Scientific expertise through an appropriate technical experience or a relevant degree (Physics, Chemistry, Electronics etc.)
- Both a theoretical and practical knowledge of High Energy Laser systems
- Expertise in lasers at kW level, preferably including fibre lasers, beam quality and characterisation expertise
- Experience of UK and overseas trials of novel HEL systems is essential
- Extensive experience of working with laboratory test and measurement equipment/instrumentation
- Understanding of issues affecting choice and design of optical materials, coatings on optics, connectors and key in-line fibre components
- Experience in optical laser system design, theoretical and practical safety analysis using Matlab, Excel or similar.
- Knowledge of modelling approaches to the design of systems, together with the integration with experimental work to deliver realistic solutions
If successful, you will be put through Ministry of Defence security clearance.
If you're ready to apply, fantastic! Click "apply" and if your CV is shortlisted I will call for an initial chat/screening in confidence within the next week
Interviews will take place on an ad-hoc basis but if you're interested please don't hesitate as we are short listing as we speak!
If you need any further information drop me an email at