2 days left
- Job Type
The Financial Times is looking for a Web Developer to join their 350+ people technology team.
The FT is currently building and designing a high performance, scaleable Email Platform using a microservice architecture built with NodeJS. It provides APIs and UIs to the next generation FT.com site and other key business users. Playing a critical role in enhancing user engagement it is currently responsible for sending around 45M emails a month.
You will be involved in architectural decisions as well as the direct implementation of the defined services. You will help shape the project direction and be using continuous deployment within a genuinely agile team who are striving to deliver quality products with realistic timescales. You will also be encouraged to explore new technologies and approaches that best fit the problem set.
What it's like to work for us...
Our department spans all areas of technology including software development, quality assurance, integration, operational support, IT governance, programme/project management & customer/supplier management.
We ensure engineers have the tools they need - people are free to choose the OS and device type that suits them, and we encourage exploration of new tools and techniques. We believe in multi-disciplined co-located teams empowered to choose their own development methodologies. Most teams choose to practise continuous delivery.
We run regular 48 hour hack days which all employees are able to participate in. We also use a variation on hackdays at the inception of projects, called "quickstarts", and actively encourage attendance and participation at external events and conferences.
We have an emerging web technologies team called FT Labs. We experiment with exciting new web technologies to bring the world's finest journalism to new platforms, technologies and channels.
- Node.js microservice creation
- Writing and integrating with server-side APIs.
- Liaising with product owners, UX and designers to help shape the user experience.
- Managing the lifecycle of a feature - from design to build to deployment.
- Contributing to the company-wide frameworks.
- Some server-side development experience with Node.JS
- Knowledge of a variety of software design patterns, such as factory, observer, module, pubsub, closure, async, promises etc
- Excellent quality of written and spoken English.
- Working knowledge of Linux command line tools and version control concepts.
- Knowledge of the current state of ES6 and ES7 development
- Experience with SOA and/or microservices architecture
- Experience with version control and front-end build tools (Sass, babel, grunt etc.).
- An understanding of design and UX principles.
- Use of Queues e.g. SQS, Kinesis, RabbitMQ
- Use of SQL and No-SQL persistence stores
- WAS principles and technologies e.g. IAM, use of regions
If this role is of interest to you, please submit your CV at your earliest convenience.
Lorien Resourcing is acting as an employment agency for this vacancy.
Apply for Web Developer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly