Web App Developer
The Financial Times is looking for a Web Developer to join their 350+ people technology team.
Join a small agile team that continues to deliver great content to our global user base quickly, effectively and reliably.
For 2017 we are intending to:
- create an iOS app in addition to the existing Android app and the core app.ft.com
- increase design and functional consistency with the new ft.com
- reduce editorial workflow requirements
- migrate to new FT internal services as they become available for content, metadata and others
Web App users are typically highly engaged subscribers, with a large consumption peak at morning commutes and weekend. Web App is a platinum service and hosted on AWS.
What it's like to work for us...
Our department spans all areas of technology including software development, quality assurance, integration, operational support, IT governance, programme/project management & customer/supplier management.
We ensure engineers have the tools they need - people are free to choose the OS and device type that suits them, and we encourage exploration of new tools and techniques. We believe in multi-disciplined co-located teams empowered to choose their own development methodologies. Most teams choose to practise continuous delivery.
We run regular 48 hour hack days which all employees are able to participate in. We also use a variation on hackdays at the inception of projects, called "quickstarts", and actively encourage attendance and participation at external events and conferences.
We have an emerging web technologies team called FT Labs. We experiment with exciting new web technologies to bring the world's finest journalism to new platforms, technologies and channels.
- Engaging with internal standards to maintain forward-compatibility
- Integrating with server-side APIs
- Liaising with scrum masters, product owners, testers, UX engineers and designers to shape the user experience
- Writing functional and visual regression tests
- HTML5 and CSS
- Knowledge of a variety of software design patterns, such as factory, observer, module, pubsub, closure, async, promises etc
- Working knowledge of Linux command line tools and version control concepts
- Excellent quality of written and spoken English
- iOS application development
- Android application development
- Experience with jQuery, Git, Sass, Gulp, and/or CommonJS modules
- Node.js experience
- A flair for UI design
- Knowledge of the current state of ES6 and ES7 development
If this role is of interest to you, please submit your CV at your earliest convenience.
Lorien Resourcing is acting as an employment agency for this vacancy.