Head of Business Change
Head of Business Change - G6
£63,060 - £74,446 + Civil service pension + flexible working arrangements + generous annual leave
Central London moving to Croydon within 6 months
The salary offered will be dependent upon skills and experience.
About the Home Office
We are the lead government department for immigration and passports, drugs policy, crime, counter-terrorism and the police.
Our priorities are to:
- empower the public to hold the police to account for their role in cutting crime
- free up the police to fight crime more effectively and efficiently
- create a more integrated criminal justice system
- secure our borders and reduce immigration
- protect people's freedoms and civil liberties
- protect our citizens from terrorism
There is considerable scale and variety to what we do. Every year our systems process millions of visa applications, border crossings, and passport applications.
Role and Responsibilities
- As a member of the senior management team for Infrastructure & Platforms this role will support the Director in defining and delivering the Infrastructure & Platforms strategy.
- Responsible for contributing to the business case for any proposed transformation or improvement, programme or technology project.
- Ensure business readiness, through the design and implementation of an effective change management strategy, to cost-effectively introduce technology change to the business with minimum disruption.
- Significant additional benefits are expected to be achieved through increased use of I&P technology targeted for 2017 and beyond
The scope for this role:
- Is key to achieving these benefits whilst complying with HO standards of governance, quality and control through delivering the Business Change Management
- Is to manage the Business Change management activity for I&P to deliver the objectives
- Is to manage the training and communications to support the introduction of technology to ensure business continuity, if this fails then all supported business processes could be at risk
- To be responsible for the change management supporting core business activities
- To ensure that key stakeholders are kept fully informed of relevant developments pertaining to business transformation programmes through a structured change management activity
- Along with the business managers identify potential business projects and opportunities, whilst assessing the costs, risks and benefits
- To support the development of the business case to support proposed business transformation activities
Communications and Training
- To ensure business readiness by developing and managing a communications and training strategy which prepares the business for change with minimum disruption
- To ensure all training activities are carried out on time and within budget ensuring that all stakeholders are prepared for the business change (can be through 3rd party)
- Support the resolution of organisational issues which may manifest themselves across the teams
- To plan and target interventions with regard to rolling out new technology.
- To maintain business change issues log, stakeholder maps and plans
- To make effective use of the contract management framework to draw on external resources for specialist expertise for support, in line with DDaT Strategic Sourcing Model.
- To manage the transfer of skills and competencies from contractors to I&P staff.
- To provide technical, commercial and managerial leadership.
- To plan, budget, organise, direct and control tasks, people and resources, making them available for projects where appropriate
- To motivate and lead teams and develop staff to meet changing technical and managerial needs.
- To carry out continuing professional development necessary to maintain and enhance relevant competencies
- To manage the performance of, and establish a culture of excellence within the Business Change Team, encouraging teamwork and mutual support, collaboration, responsiveness to stakeholder requirements and consistently delivering service excellence to clients and customers.
- Ensure individuals are fully trained and encouraged to contribute to the full, consistently delivering excellent customer service (including training support) and achieving a leading-edge level of innovation that anticipates rather than reacts to HO/other stakeholder/client needs.
- Keeps up to date with the latest relevant technology developments and trends
- Has extensive knowledge of business change techniques required to facilitate business transformation with minimum impact on the business
- Has working knowledge of business design and deployment methodologies
- Has extensive knowledge of training and communications tools and techniques
- Is able to demonstrate progressive leadership in identifying and implementing opportunities for exploitation of new processes and technology
- Is able to influence strategy with respect to I&P objectives, as well as influencing other senior management stakeholders and business owners
- Is able to demonstrate good stakeholder management skills and is able to coach stakeholders in technology projects and way of working
- Is able to identify, understand and take account of key strategic drivers which influence the Business Change function activities
- Is able to assess both business and technical risks, and can balance risk against benefit to propose the appropriate actions to mitigate risk
- Is able to develop productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders to deliver success
- Is able to manage change effectively, identifying resistance, building engagement and involvement, and rewarding innovation
- Is able to demonstrate excellent management, communication, motivational and team-building skills
- Is able to identify and implement new and more efficient ways of working
- Is able to maintain budgetary control over multi-million expenditure budgets
- Champions equality and diversity and promotes best practice
- A number of years of professional experience in technology systems design and deployment in a large scale IT function, of which a significant period should have been at a Senior Management (Principal Consultant) level in Business Change function
- Has been responsible for the development of Business Change Strategy to support business needs in a large, complex organisation
- Has deployed and operated a structured governance model to manage change in large business systems change environments
- Has a extensive experience of the development of full business cases including benefits and costs
- Has a proven track record of enabling tangible benefits through the deployment of technology systems and effective change management strategy
- Has been responsible for managing 3rd party delivery
- Has been responsible for significant budgetary control with respect to business transformation functions
- Has successfully developed and lead a team to deliver the business objectives
- Has coached and developed individuals to achieve operational excellence and developing new, more efficient ways of working
- Has proven track record in facilitation, coaching, influencing and negotiating
- Has significant organisational change management experience for technology programmes in a complex, multi-site organisation
- Has been a proven and successful leader of technical people in a large, multi-site operation
- Has experience of successfully initiating and managing sizeable change programmes
- Has proven success in delivering and sustaining a high performance culture
- Has proven understanding and commitment to excellent customer service
- Familiar with public sector governance requirements for internal control
- Previous experience of technology systems support
- Educated to degree or professional level
- Certification in Business Change
If this job sounds something you'd be keen to explore further, apply now with your latest CV or contact Emily Higgs-Bayliss at Experis.