Marine Environment Technical Lead
- Are you passionate about the Marine Environment?
- Do you want to help us deliver our strategic objectives and shape our future?
- Do you want to work somewhere that values you and will support you to grow?
- Do you thrive on sharing your knowledge and experience to develop others?
If so we’d like to hear from you.
The United Kingdom Hydrographic Office is a Ministry of Defence trading fund and is responsible for providing operational support to the Royal Navy and other defence customers: supporting the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) obligations to the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) treaty; ensuring that marine data relating to the UK coastal waters is accurate and up to date; providing expert advice on hydrography; offering a range of specialist consultancy services.
We are based in Taunton Somerset and employ 850 personnel including: many experienced mariners; a wide range of IT, financial, printing, HR and technical support roles; mapping and Charting Officers; seven Royal Navy personnel. We principally supply defense and the commercial shipping industry with hydrographic and geospatial data, we help to: ensure Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS); protect the marine environment and support the efficiency of global trade; set and raise global standards of hydrography, cartography and navigation.
The Ocean Environment Team sit within the Scientific Analysis Group which consists of a Team of Scientists who work with diverse range of digital datasets e.g. Oceanography, Tides, Bathymetry, Remote Sensing, Marine Biology; Geology and acoustics. We provide a range of products and services to our Defence customers, principally the Royal Navy, and support commercial charting and our public safety tasks. It is the role of the Scientific Analysis Group to ensure our data can fully support the UKHO’s vision of becoming a ‘world-leading Marine Geospatial Information Agency and Hydrographic Office and have the widest possible range of appropriately assured data tagged, assessed and ready to use.’
The Ocean Environment Team is responsible for managing a diverse range of Marine Environmental, data (e.g. Tides, Marine Mammals, Oceanographic, Geological, Acoustics and Climatology).
We are looking for candidates with the right aptitude and specialist Marine Environment knowledge, skills and experience (e.g. Tides, Marine Mammals, Oceanographic, Geological, Acoustics, and /or mathematically modelling and Climatology) to help us achieve our mission to be recognised across Government and areas of academia as a leading supplier of maritime scientific data and expertise and to support the UKHO’s vision of becoming a leading geospatial data agency.
The Operations environment is constantly evolving to meet current customer demands and the future needs of the maritime and Defence community so a positive and proactive approach to change is key.
The role of the Ocean Environment Technical Lead is to provide advice and make key decisions on the collection, quality, format and handling of Marine Environmental Data (e.g. Tides, Marine Mammals, Oceanographic, Geological, Acoustics, and /or mathematically modelling and Climatology), both internally and externally and to support the UKHO's input into commercial, SOLAS, MOD and Allied requirements.
This will include:
- Supporting the technical development of the Marine Environment department, it’s databases and data management processes
- Driving forward the technical and process development of Marine Environment staff.
- Leading relevant projects and programmes of work within the team and advising on the development of software.
- Seeking continuous improvement of UKHO's Marine Environment data deliverables and processing procedures including tools and new sensor data sources.
- Providing Marine Environment advice/support to a range of MOD and external customers as required
- Representing the Marine Environment technical interests of the UKHO with the wider MOD and academic community as required.
For role specific information and guidance on how to apply, please press apply button below
The closing date for applications is 17 February 2017
More searches like this
- Central Government SC Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in Taunton
- Defence SC Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in Taunton
- Engineering SC Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in Taunton
- Information Technology SC Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in Taunton
- Marine SC Permanent £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in Taunton