Big Data Developer
Roke helps our customers to solve their big data problems by engineering solutions based on open source technologies and in-house software. We are rapidly expanding our capability in this area and require enthusiastic and highly competent software engineers to join our development team. This role provides involves constant learning and development as technologies change in a dynamic and technically challenging environment.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work in an expanding team on big data projects using a variety of technologies.
Areas of responsibilities/tasks
As the successful Big Data Developer, your key responsibility will be to work within a number of Roke's business segments, working with consultants to design and implement big data solutions to complex, challenging problems across the National Security, Defence and Commercial domains. Your role will include:
- Working in a hands-on capacity to develop various facets of the Hadoop and big data ecosystems, including Cloudera, HDFS, MapReduce, YARN, Flume, Accumulo, Spark, and Python.
- Engagement with architects, analysts and subject matter experts to produce technical designs and solutions for big data analytic challenges.
- Understanding requirements from stakeholders to in order to create the most appropriate solution
- Introducing and promoting technology to other technical and non-technical stakeholders
The successful candidate will relish hands-on development work, be confident in software design principles and enjoy working in a team. They will have a proven record of system integration of open source technology stacks and of good software engineering practice (such as test-driven development). Considerable programming experience in Java and/or Python (at least 3 years) and the ability to produce code and technical documentation to a high standard are fundamental requirements of this role. The successful candidate will also be able to communicate effectively with stakeholders and customers.
The following skills and experience will be considered an advantage:
- Understanding and experience of system scalability and performance challenges, especially in the context of distributed data processing.
- Experience across big data technologies, such as Cloudera, Hadoop, HDFS, YARN, MapReduce, Flume, Oozie, Hive, Pig, Accumulo or streams processing.
- Experience with relational databases, such as SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL.
- Knowledge of the big data market and technologies available and an understanding of key aspects of big data architectures.
- This role will require working in London and other parts of the UK.
- Ability to achieve DV clearance
Due to the nature of this position, candidates must be willing to undergo, and eligible to achieve HMG security clearance (prior to appointment). As a result, candidates should be a British Citizen; and have resided in the UK for the last 10 years. This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including bonus scheme, private medical insurance and pension, along with a whole host of flexible benefits to include childcare vouchers, travel insurance and dental care. Roke is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity.
More jobs like this
- £50,000 - £59,999 Permanent None / Undisclosed Consultancy jobs in Gloucester
- £50,000 - £59,999 Permanent None / Undisclosed Digital Forensics jobs in Gloucester
- £50,000 - £59,999 Permanent None / Undisclosed Engineering jobs in Gloucester
- £50,000 - £59,999 Permanent None / Undisclosed Information Technology jobs in Gloucester
- £50,000 - £59,999 Permanent None / Undisclosed Intelligence jobs in Gloucester